Thack-Attackin

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Morning Light




OK, I cannot hold it within me any longer. My heart bubbleth over. My ears scream in sweet sweet accolade. My mind has officially been blown. Yes, of course I'm talking about everytime I hear Nikki laugh, but I also speak of perhaps the best thing to come out of the emo scene in forever: The Morning Light (Cue Holy Grail music).


The youngsters from Pittsburgh were found by Nikki and I as we attended the Rocket Summer concert in Salt Lake last summer with my bro. Josh and his (ahem) lady friend Brianna. At first I was like, "oh great, another emo act. You can't hide behind those tight jeans and flannel shirts forever!" But it only took maybe another song for the aforementioned blowing of the mind to take place. Harisson Wargo, who wins Name of the Year, and Bobby Garver trade off vocals and complement each other perfectly. The music changes from outright rock to soulful ballads oftentimes in the middle of the song, without ever losing it's focus on an infectuos, intelligent pop rock that comes off as very refreshing with all the wierd disco rock Fall Out Boys currently in the top 40. Plus, they have maybe one of the best young bass players on the market. At the concert, this guy sat in for the next two bands to play after his own. It's like listening to Copeland, but... better. Like listening to Fall Out Boy, but... better. Like eating pizza, drinking a Dewskie, and watching the Avs with Nikki, but... ok, let's not go that far.

But seriously folks, these guys rock. If you haven't checked them out yet, you are severely depriving yourselves of life as you never knew it. The have 2 cds out, "The Love EP" which, although it has only six tracks, has completely stolen my musical heart. The second is their self-titled full-album debut just released this year. Both are must haves. One day, Dwight Shrute may just approach you and ask, "Do you listen to the Morning Light?" When you answer "no", the reply will be short and stinging: "Then you are an idiot."


Awwww... what precious little angels

Check them out at www.myspace.com/themorninglight.

I'm usually not a big myspace fan, but they've actually got a pretty cool page.

No comments: